Thursday, December 8, 2016

Cyber Bullying Presentation

One of the final presentations that I identified with was the presentation done on cyber bullying.
As a young female who uses the Internet, I am familiar with cyber bullying. I used to broadcast myself in video chat rooms such as Tinychat on a regular basis. Although this was a fun environment outside of the “real” world where I could connect with other people from all over the world, it also unfortunately enabled malicious individuals to target me. A popular strategy that online harassers use is fear. It was a common occurrence to receive messages from strangers threatening to expose me on vulgar websites, claiming to possess explicit content of me. The funny thing was, I knew that they didn’t actually have anything of me, but being an anxious and paranoid teenager, I occasionally had to think “WHAT IF??” I feel for all the victims out there who were successfully taken advantage of. In addition I have been “ddosed” on countless occasions, and that was really frustrating. When your parents are wondering why the wifi keeps crashing you don’t exactly want to tell them “some person in this social chat room that I like to go in keeps attacking us.” Eventually I outgrew my fascination with broadcasting online as well as learned to ignore the perpetual threats of strangers whenever I did decide to go in those kinds of environments.
On the other hand, I personally am not much of a gamer. So I don’t recall being threatened to be “swatted” or “doxxed.” What amuses me so much about the gaming community is the amount of trolls and irresponsible usage of computing knowledge. I just don’t understand why someone would go through all the trouble to send a swat team to another gamer’s house because they said something that offended them… they probably should find some better coping skills.

            Overall, it is difficult to get cyber bullying users arrested. Until laws become stronger regarding cases on the Internet, I think it is best to learn how to avoid unpleasant bullies and harassers if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment